Charles Claridge Pratt

Born in Monmouthshire in 1869, he was the last of seven generations of doctors originally from Appledore.


He qualified in 1900 and in 1909 was appointed to replace Dr Humphrey Allen - who had died aged 36 - as medical officer at Morchard Bishop for Crediton Union.


In 1912 he attended Dr Haycroft of Bow during his last illness. (He died of septicaemia.)


A bachelor, he worked in Morchard Bishop until his sudden death in 1936. He is remembered for fundraising for the village hall, as a war memorial, which was completed in 1931.