Gould's Gift

In 1682, John Gould of Broad Nymett gave to Rev Edward Pocock and six others in trust  8/9 of a dwelling house in Bow and 8/9 of a field or close called Cross Park, for their use after his death, the rents or profits paying a school-master (who would live in the house) to teach ten poor children of the village to read English, write well and cast accounts, in a room erected for that purpose. (The remaining 1/9 belonged to John Hoyle’s charity.) There was in addition room for three poor persons of the parish to live in the house.

 

In 1824 the trust premises consisted of a house and garden, divided in two, where the school master and his predecessor were living. There were no paupers living there apart from the schoolmaster’s servant.

The schoolmaster received the rent from Cross Park, and taught ten poor children for free, in addition to other children whose education was paid for by their parents.

 

By 1911 a new school room had been built in the garden of the school-master’s house, and the ownership of the house and land had been transferred to the Local Education Authority who had already purchased the remaining 1/9.

 

Inside Bow Church, by the belfry, is the tomb of Agnes Gould (1613-1668), “wife of John Gould of Broad Nymet”.

 

 

 

back to Bow Charities