The Medical Gentlemen of Bow


COLERIDGE, or Coldridge, is a parish and village, 3 miles S. of Eggesford station on the North Devon 
railway, 5 miles S. of Chulmleigh, and 5 miles E. of Winkleigh. The parish, which includes the hamlet of 
Leigh, is in Crediton union and county court district, Southmolton petty sessional division. Northern division 
of the county, Barnstaple archdeaconry, and Chulmleigh rural deanery, and North Tawton hundred. The 
parish had 553 inhabitants (276 males, 277 females), in 1871, living in 113 houses, on 3670 acres of land. 
The Earl of Portsmouth is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The Church (St. Matthew) 
is a fine antique fabric in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower contain- 
ing six bells. In the chancel is an effigy of one of the Evans family. A tomb in the church records the 
death by lightning of three brothers. The living, a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7 8s. 9d., and now at £410 
(gross), is annexed to Nymet Rowland, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Frederic 
Emanuel Gutteres, who resides at Nymet Rowland. There is a glebe of 17 acres. The tithes were commuted in 1844, the vicarial for £155, and the rectorial for £220. The latter belong to the Earl of Portsmouth. 
The Plymouth Brethren have a chapel here. A School Board was formed on September 16, 1872, and 
now consists of Messrs. George Luxton (chairman), John Luxton (vice), Richard Densham, Robert Killand, 
and Francis J. Isaac. Mr. John Mashford is clerk. The School was built in 1874, at a cost of £400, and has 
accommodation for about 95 children. A teacher's residence is being erected at a further outlay of £270. 

Letters via Wembworthy. Chulmleigh is the nearest Money Order Office. There is a Wall Letter Box, cleared at 5.45 p.m., week days only.



Rev John Ridd: Impoverished Curate. His son Samuel, hero of a shipwreck on the Spanish coast.

John Millard surgeon 1837-1841                     The Mashfords: A whole family emigrates to Australia in 1846

Sacrilege: Robbery of the communion silver plate in 1867