Newton St Cyres

"NEWTON ST. CYRES, a pleasant village, on the south side of the vale of the river Creedy, 4½ miles N.W. of Exeter, and 3½ E.S.E. of Crediton. Its parish contains 1234 souls, and 4305 acres of land, rising in bold undulations from the river, and including the tythings of Ford, Norton, and Smallbrook, the hamlet of Winscott, and many scattered houses. . . . John Quicke, Esq., is lord of the manor of Newton, and resides at Newton House, where his family has been seated since the reign of Elizabeth. . . . The Church (St. Cyres,) stands on a fine eminence, and has a tower and five bells. It was built in the 12th or 13th century, and has a large burial ground surrounded by fine lime trees, &c. The interior was recently repewed, in 1831, and has several monuments of the Northcote and Quicke families, one of which has effigies of Jacob Northcote Esq., and his two wives, who died in the 17th century. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 15s. 5d., and in 1831 at £425, is in the patronage of John Quicke, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E.H. Quicke, B.A. . . . "

John East (1819-1902) Horse thief transported to Tasmania         Counterfeit Coin Production (1838)          Highway Robbers (1842)

John Crump: drowned in Manganese Mine in 1842         Hugh Downman: Exeter physician and poet

 

 

Robert and Sarah Parsons - both transported: he returned to his family after 25 years of exile



Mary Ann Herman nee Scott. Prostitute in Exeter transported for robbing a client