North Tawton

TAWTON (North), a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands near the Yeoford and Okehampton railway, 6½ miles NE of Okehampton; was once a market-town; and has a r. station with telegraph, a post-office, designated North tawton, North Devon, and three annual fairs.—The parish includes Week hamlet, and comprises 5,814 acres. Real property, £7,392. Pop., 1,849. Houses, 388. The property is subdivided. There are a woollen and serge manufactory, and a copious intermitting spring.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £751. Patron, the Rev. G. Hole. The church is old but good. There are three dissenting chapels, a free school, and some charities.

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-1872).

Poor Law Union Medical Officers                       Dr William Budd and the North Tawton Typhoid Outbreak

Dr Christian Budd: Surgeon in the town for 50 years               Samuel Budd: Surgeon 1796-1841

Henry Holman Surgeon 1786-1803