Sandford

SANDFORD is a parish and village, delightfully seated in the vale of the little river Creedy, on the road from Crediton to South Molton, 2 ½ miles north-west from Crediton station on the main line of the London and South Western railway. The church of St. Swithin is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells, all cast by William Evans, in 1748: the church was restored and enlarged in 1847—8, and affords sittings for 603 persons. The register dates from the year 1603. There is a Congregational chapel. Charities amounting to the value of £115 are distributed yearly. A fair is held yearly on the Monday after July 26th, for cattle. Creedy Park is the seat of Lieut.-Col. Sir John Davie Ferguson-Davie bart. D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner; the house is situated in a park of 370 acres. The soil is for the most part a remarkably rich and fertile Ted loam; subsoil, the same. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and pasture. The area is 7,808 acres of land and 12 of water; rateable value, £9,998; the population in 1891 was 1,347.

Kelly's Directory of Devon, written: 1902


Jane Skinner aged 17, transported for life for arson in 1834


Samuel Hurved aged 80 returns after being transported in 1851


The Reed family - Base coin production and distribution


Joseph Hepper - Transported for stealing pork.


James Elston and his wife - transported for highway robbery


James Lee - assaulted Anna Partridge, later transported for theft


The Bent family of clerics and doctors


Dr Haycroft's grave


William Henry Ellis - transported for embezzlement 1827


John Phelp: killed a trespasser 1829


William Perriman - died of Arsenic poisonning 1789