The Medical Gentlemen of Bow

Shobrooke

SHOBROOKE is a parish and village, 3 miles north-east from Crediton station, on the London and South Western railway,

The church of St. Swithin is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style with some Norman portions, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower with turret at the north-east angle containing 6 bells, 5 of which were cast by Thomas Bilbie in 1760, and the sixth by Warner in 1888: the upper portion of the tower was rebuilt in 1888, at a cost of £556:  the church was entirely restored and enlarged in 1879, at a cost of £2,600, when a south aisle was added:: the communion plate includes a flagon, chalice and paten, given by Thomas Lamplugh, bishop of Exeter, 1676—89, and archbishop of York, 1689—91; and another chalice and paten presented by Sir Jonathan Trelawney bart. bishop of Exeter, in 1689:The living is a rectory, net yearly value £394, including 25 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Worthington Jukes M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Cadbury.  The principal landowners are Sir John Shelley bart. who is lord of the manor, and William Cornish Cleave esq. The soil is red loam; subsoil, red rock. The chief crops are wheat and roots. The area is 4,253 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value, £5,569; the population in 1891 was 632 in the civil and 579 in the ecclesiastical parish.




George Vicary: Transported to Tasmania for stealing food        John Dyer and his cure for Rabies


Matthew and William Cudmore: father and son hanged in 1749 and 1752